- Regular Conference Registration Deadline – Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 5:00 pm. August 21, 2018
Don’t miss this opportunity to save up to $35 over the Same Day Registration Rate at the Conference! This year’s conference is being held at the Palm Beach County Convention Center in downtown West Palm Beach on September 11 – 14, 2018 and features an outstanding array of programs, speakers, mobile workshops, training sessions, and events on topics of interest to our members. For more information and to register visit http://floridaplanning.org/apaflconf/?intcmp=hp.
- Planning Officials Training Symposium (POTS) – September 12, 2018 August 13, 2018
The 2018 Planning Officials Training Symposium (POTS) is upcoming on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:00 am – 5:00 pm at the Palm Beach County Convention Center.
Are you an appointed advisory board member or an elected official making planning and zoning recommendations or decisions for your local government? If so, then this one-day symposium, organized by the Treasure Coast Section of the Florida Chapter, American Planning Association, is tailored just for you!
The event flyer is attached for more information: APA FL Conference POTS Flyer
- Young Planners Pre-Conference Social – Friday, September 7, 2018, 6 pm August 13, 2018
Young Planners Pre-Conference Social – Friday, September 7, 2018, 6 pm –hosted by the Treasure Coast and Broward Sections at Prosperity Brewers in Boca Raton. For more information and to RSVP contact Sofia Garantiva (Treasure Coast YPG Ambassador) at email@example.com by noon on August 31st.
- Fall 2018 AICP Exam August 13, 2018
- Fall 2018 AICP Exam Study Class – the Treasure Coast Section hosted class begins next Thursday evening, August 16th and will run until Thursday, November 8th at the Wellington Community Center. Thursday night classes are held from 6:00 – 8:40 pm. Saturday classes focused on practice questions will be held September 15th through November 3rd from 8:30 am – 12:40 pm. You can participate in person or via Go-To-Webinar and the FTP site where all class materials are posted. There is no charge for the class, but you do need to register to participate. If you are not already on their AICP Class Email List and would like to be added, or have any questions related to the AICP Exam, please contact Henry Bittaker, AICP, at firstname.lastname@example.org / 561-523-0678 and Susan Coughanour, FAICP, at email@example.com / 561-523-0677.
For more information about the AICP Exam, including notification and exam registration deadlines for those of you who applied during the June 2018 Application Window, visit https://www.planning.org/certification/ & https://www.planning.org/certification/currentexam/.
- For those of you interested in taking the AICP Exam in May 2019, the application window will likely open in early December. We encourage you to prepare early and take advantage of the Early Bird Deadline which is usually a week after the application window opens.
- Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship Program – APA FL participates in the APA/AICP 2018 Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship Program for members who may experience financial difficulty in taking the exam. The deadline to apply for the Scholarship Program for the November 2018 Exam Window is September 14, 2018. For additional information about the application process and criteria visit http://www.floridaplanning.org/apa-florida-2018-reduced-aicp-exam-fee-scholarships//.
- APA Florida 2018 Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarships – Deadline Sept. 14 June 18, 2018
APA and AICP have encouraged the APA Florida Chapter to submit names of those with financial hardships to become AICP members by taking advantage of the 2018 Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship program. This program was put into place to offer assistance to those individuals who may defer taking or are unable to take the AICP exam because of the high cost.
Scholarship recipients pay reduced fees to AICP as follows:
- First time AICP applicants: $145 (combined $70 application and $75 exam fee)
- Previously approved AICP applicants: $75 (exam fee only) – normal, non-scholarship exam fee is $425
- Awarding of a scholarship does not guarantee that a recipient will be approved to take the AICP Exam. The exam application will be evaluated like any other.
- The nomination/selection of scholarship recipients will be kept strictly confidential.
- Two (2) scholarships are available now from the APA Florida Chapter for the November 2018 exam.
The FINAL selection of potential scholarship recipients rests with the APA Florida Chapter’s Professional Development Officer (PDO), Henry Bittaker, and will be final.
Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship Selection Criteria
Applicants must submit a “Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship” financial hardship application directly to me, the APA-Florida PDO, at firstname.lastname@example.org, that consists of a written explanation of financial hardship (including financial hardship caused by a budget cutback in a firm or agency) which necessitates the request and must also provide me with their APA member number. This written response, at a minimum, includes indicating that:
- The applicant will be otherwise unlikely to take the exam without the reduced fee, and
- The applicant’s employer will not subsidize the exam fee.
- Whether or not they are a member of any ethnic or racial minorities.
- The planner’s APA Member number
Applications may be submitted now for ONLY the November 2018 exam window.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE: ...
Meet your Ambassadors
Are you new in town or Florida? Did you just graduate from Planning School? Are you looking to network with other young professionals? YPG has “Ambassadors” in every section to help you with getting involved in APA and jumpstarting your career. Reach out to the Ambassador in your Section:
Not sure which Section you are in? Click here to find out. If your section does not have an Ambassador, consider stepping up! Contact us for more info.
Welcome Young Planners!
The purpose of APA Florida’s Young Planners Group (YPG) is to provide young planners in the state of Florida with guidance, resources and professional development opportunities so that they can excel individually and lead collectively in the field of planning.
The YPG functions as an ad-hoc committee of APA Florida. Membership in YPG is free with a paid APA membership (including Chapter-only memberships). For YPG purposes, “young planners” are self-identified and anyone is welcome to participate. Generally, YPG membership consists of students, professionals under the age of 35 or planning professionals with less than 5 years of experience. To join YPG, contact the Chapter office.
Please let us know how YPG can be of service to you and your career. If you are interested in getting involved please at FloridaYPG@gmail.com.