- TCRPC Spring 2018 Town Hall Lecture Series January 12, 2018
The Treasure Coast Section, FL APA, in conjunction with the Treasure Coast Regional Planning Council and several other organizations, will be co-sponsoring a Spring 2018 Town Hall Lecture Series beginning on Wednesday evening, January 31st at the Historic Jensen Beach Community Center. Victor Dover, FAICP, the featured speaker on January 31st, will address ‘Street Design: The Secret of Great Cities and Towns’. The program will begin at 5:30 pm with a ‘Meet ‘n’ Greet’ followed by the lecture by Victor Dover at 6:30 pm. 1.5 AICP CM Credits will be applied for. There is no charge for the program, but RSVPs are required (Liz Gulick at email@example.com).
Please check our calendar for event specifics, and the following flyer for an overview of the Series: Spring 2018 Lecture Series Flyer
Additional Lecture Series Dates:
Wednesday, February 21st, 2018 Ellen Dunham-Jones, FCNU, George Institute of Technology (‘Retrofitting: Suburbia for 21st Century Challenges’);
Wednesday, March 14th, 2018 Rick Gonzales, AIA, REG Architects (Historic Buildings as Placemaker Anchors’);
Wednesday, April 11th, 2018 Raphael Clemente, West Palm Beach Downtown Development Authority (‘The Impact of Art on Towns and Cities’).
- APA Florida 2018 Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarships – Deadline Feb. 16 November 29, 2017
APA and AICP have encouraged the APA Florida Chapter to submit names of those with financial hardships to become AICP members by taking advantage of the 2018 Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship program. This program was put into place to offer assistance to those individuals who may defer taking or are unable to take the AICP exam because of the high cost.
Scholarship recipients pay reduced fees to AICP as follows:
- First time AICP applicants: $145 (combined $70 application and $75 exam fee)
- Previously approved AICP applicants: $75 (exam fee only) – normal, non-scholarship exam fee is $425
- Awarding of a scholarship does not guarantee that a recipient will be approved to take the AICP Exam. The exam application will be evaluated like any other.
- The nomination/selection of scholarship recipients will be kept strictly confidential.
- A maximum of two (2) scholarships will be available now from the APA Florida Chapter for the May 2018 exam.
- Two additional scholarships will be available for the November 2018 exam, but those applications will be asked for during late summer, 2018
The FINAL selection of potential scholarship recipients rests with the APA Florida Chapter’s Professional Development Officer (PDO), Henry Bittaker, and will be final.
Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship Selection Criteria
Applicants must submit a “Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship” application directly to me, the APA-Florida PDO, at firstname.lastname@example.org, that consists of a written explanation of financial hardship (including financial hardship caused by a budget cutback in a firm or agency) which necessitates the request and must also provide me with their APA member number. This written response includes indicating that:
- The applicant will be otherwise unlikely to take the exam without the reduced fee, and
- The applicant’s employer will not subsidize the exam fee.
- Whether or not they are a member of any ethnic or ...
- AICP Exam & New AICP Candidate Pilot Program Webinar November 20, 2017
If you didn’t have a chance to view/attend the AICP Exam & New AICP Candidate Pilot Program webinar on Nov. 14 you can view it here now.
Click here or on the image above to begin the webinar. (Please note that you will have to register to view the webinar. It’s free!)
Here are the two presentations shown during the training.
- Treasure Coast Section selected to host 2018 State Conference! July 20, 2017
Treasure Coast Section Chair Josh Long, AICP, announced the Treasure Coast Section has been selected to host the 2018 State Conference! The conference will be held at the Palm Beach County Convention Center and the new Hilton West Palm Beach from Sept. 11 to Sept. 14, 2018. The State Conference will provide the Treasure Coast Section an opportunity to showcase all that the Treasure Coast has to offer. Josh’s team will begin planning for the conference soon and is looking for volunteers. The Section will need volunteers for the following subcommittees:
- Receptions (identifying locations for receptions)
- Program (speakers and sessions)
- Mobile workshops (identifying and organizing local tours for mobile workshops)
- Marketing/Sponsorships (getting sponsors and exhibitors)
- Volunteers (organizing volunteers to help during the actual conference)
- Conference websites (posting conference materials on website)
If you have any interest in volunteering or have any questions regarding the 2018 State Conference, please email Josh at email@example.com. See you in West Palm Beach!
- REMINDER: – THIS FRIDAY: Practicing Planner Reflections 101: What you don’t always learn in class. February 13, 2017
Meet your Ambassadors
Are you new in town or Florida? Did you just graduate from Planning School? Are you looking to network with other young professionals? YPG has “Ambassadors” in every section to help you with getting involved in APA and jumpstarting your career. Reach out to the Ambassador in your Section:
Not sure which Section you are in? Click here to find out. If your section does not have an Ambassador, consider stepping up! Contact us for more info.
Welcome Young Planners!
The purpose of APA Florida’s Young Planners Group (YPG) is to provide young planners in the state of Florida with guidance, resources and professional development opportunities so that they can excel individually and lead collectively in the field of planning.
The YPG functions as an ad-hoc committee of APA Florida. Membership in YPG is free with a paid APA membership (including Chapter-only memberships). For YPG purposes, “young planners” are self-identified and anyone is welcome to participate. Generally, YPG membership consists of students, professionals under the age of 35 or planning professionals with less than 5 years of experience. To join YPG, contact the Chapter office.
Please let us know how YPG can be of service to you and your career. If you are interested in getting involved please at FloridaYPG@gmail.com.