Mark R. Brown, AICP (Candidate for Vice-President for Certification Maintenance)
- Senior Active Mobility Project Manager, City of Coral Gables, FL (current). Responsible for project development of all pedestrian, bicycle and transit related initiatives for the city. Currently leading Coral Gables’ Multi-Modal Strategic Plan, neighborhood sidewalk design projects and various traffic calming/traffic safety initiatives.
- Senior Planner, City of Dallas, TX (2013-2018): Led complete streets capital projects, including community engagement process, in-house conceptual design and coordination with engineering teams to deliver community-led vision for projects.
- City Planner, City of Baltimore Department of Transportation (2008-2013): Managed capital projects during conceptual design, including access management, roundabouts and traffic calming initiatives. I was also lead author and project manager for Baltimore’s first complete streets policy document (The Southeast Baltimore Complete Streets Plan).
- Clemson University. Master of City and Regional Planning
- William Patterson University. Bachelors of Science – Business Administration
APA Florida/APA Experience:
- Member of AICP since 2013
Certification maintenance (CM) is a critical part of being an active APA member with AICP certification. I’ve often heard from colleagues that acquiring CM credits is too costly, not convenient or that the courses available aren’t in their area of expertise. It will be my goal as VP of Certification Maintenance to provide relevant, convenient and low-cost CM credit opportunities for every Florida APA member. Finding CM credit opportunities for a broad array of planning specialties will also be an important focus of my job. Finally, I will notify members of CM opportunities as soon as they become available so folks can plan out their schedule well in advance.