City of North Miami Beach
Job Posting: ASSOCIATE PLANNER
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
This is a professional planning position that assists the Planning and Zoning Manager in the work functions of the Planning and Zoning Division of the Community Development Department. An incumbent in this position is required to exercise mature and independent judgment based on accumulated experience in determining courses of action and in the development and presentation of material within a specific area of functional specialization. Position is responsible for assisting in the collection, compilation, assimilation and presentation of data related to the development of master plans for land use and community facilities, for activities related to plan implementation, such as zoning regulation development and administration, and for economic, and demographic research, and other duties as assigned. Assists with the review and inspection of planning and zoning applications, building permits, business tax receipts, and other miscellaneous permits as assigned. Assists with the preparation and dissemination of related board and council agendas, advertising, public noticing, staff reports, studies, and presentations as assigned. Position reports to the Planning & Zoning Manager.
The successful candidate for this position should possess the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in urban planning or related field.
- Two (2) years’ experience in municipal government urban planning or any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Computer skills, including GIS (ArcView), and Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong analytical and communication skills required, including fluency in English (oral and written).
- Experience with development review, ordinance preparation, and/or comprehensive planning preferred.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License with minimal citation (no more than six points).
To apply, mail resume, cover letter, and responses to the supplemental questions to City Hall, Human Resources Dept. 17011 N. E. 19th Avenue, North Miami Beach, FL 33162, or fax to (305)787-6034. Salary $50,680 – $70,955. Applicants may obtain a copy of the NMB’s EEOP Utilization Report on request.
EOE/AA/SMOKE-DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Briefly answer the following:
- Describe an example of excellent customer service that you provided to a member of the public or a work colleague.
- Describe your experience in processing, reviewing, and presenting planning applications, such as design or site plan review, conditional use permits, variances, zoning map or land use plan amendments before planning review bodies, such as a Planning & Zoning Board or City Council. In your response, please include your role and specific responsibilities.
- Describe your experience, if any, working with graphic design software or other software programs such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), AutoCAD, Adobe, PowerPoint, EnerGov, etc.
- Describe your experience, if any, with ordinance or comprehensive plan preparation and/or amendments. In your response, please include your role and specific tasks.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.citynmb.com/jobs →