- This event has passed.
UF/IFAS Extension Orange County Urban Landscape Habitat Restoration and Preservation
March 22, 2018 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm$40
Ecosystem services, landscape sustainability, water quantity, water quality, invasive species, habitat and community development will be covered in this course. Attendees will be better prepared to identify and assess landscape problems, discuss with their clientele and stakeholders key principles and practices required to conserve biodiversity and natural resources during design, construction, and post-construction phases of development, and provide recommendations that will reduce nonpoint source pollution, conserve water, provide for wildlife, prevent invasive species and, in general, improve the health of ecosystems. Attendees will also be introduced to a design tool to evaluate different landscape design scenarios and impacts on bird habitat during the migration and breeding seasons.
1) To provide information and resources on key principles and practices required to conserve biodiversity and natural resources during design, construction, and postconstruction phases of development.
2) To provide information about how to use an online tool to evaluate different landscape design scenarios and impacts on bird habitat during the breeding and migration season.
3) To provide information and resources about the major concepts surrounding water quality and quantity problems in Florida, and how plant selection, landscape design, installation and maintenance contribute to the problems and solutions.
4) To provide information on how to identify major landscape maintenance issues and recognize opportunities to improve maintenance.
SPONSOR: University of Florida Extension
REGISTRATION $40 charge (for lunch, materials, and logistics) and participants can receive:
- LEED CEU 4.5 credits (self-reporting);
- Florida American Planning and Zoning Association CEU 4.5 credits (AICP); or
- Florida Board of Landscape Architecture CEU 4.5 credits (BOLA).
THERE WILL BE THREE WORKSHOPS THROUGHOUT THE STATE:
March 13: UF/IFAS Extension Palm Beach County Register here – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/urban-landscape-habitat-restoration-and-preservation-tickets-41763180798
March 22: UF/IFAS Extension Orange County Register here – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/urban-landscape-habitat-restoration-and-preservation-tickets-41765748478
April 4: UF/IFAS Extension Leon County Register here – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/urban-landscape-habitat-restoration-and-preservation-tickets-41764402452