- This event has passed.
CivicCon: Ed McMahon on How Community Character Counts
March 13 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pmFree
What is CivicCon?
Great cities begin with civic dialogue. That’s the bottom line of our year-long project launching today that focuses on making Pensacola an even stronger city in which to live, invest, grow and prosper. Through “Civic Conversations,” the Pensacola News Journal in partnership with Studer Community Institute is hosting a series of public town halls and workshops with the nation’s leading thinkers and experts who will share their expertise on what it takes to build strong communities. These public engagements will be accompanied by stories, videos, podcasts and roundtable discussions that explores how to turn those ideas into reality and strengthen our proud city.
Six focus areas
Click on the links below for the six focus areas, as reported that will be explored through CivicCon throughout 2018. Each story is a baseline of the community at CivicCon launch on Sept. 24:
Who are our upcoming speakers?
- Tom Murphy: Public private partnerships ( 6-7:30 p.m., CT Feb. 12, 2018.) Bio & registration here
- Ed McMahon: Community character counts ( 6-7:30 p.m. CT March 13, 2018 ) Bio & registration here
- Michaele Pride: Community-driven design, will speak April 16 and 17.
- Emily Talen: Cities and social equity, will speak May 9-10.
- Joe Minicozzi: Smart investments, will speak June 4.
- Andrew Davis: Marketing your community, will speak July 16-17.
- Gina Wirth: Urban waterfronts and coastal resilience, will speak Aug. 20 and 21.
- Jeff Speck: Walkable cities, will speak Sept. 17-18.
- Jay Walljasper: Great neighborhoods, will tentatively speak Dec. 3
- Donald Shoup: Getting parking right
- Ryan Gravel: Infrastructure of people
Click here for bios of all our upcoming speakers.