- Planning Officials Training Workshop June 29, 2016
The Treasure Coast Section of the Florida Chapter, American Planning Association (APA) is pleased to offer a day-long seminar on Friday, July 15, 2016 for your advisory board members (Planning & Zoning Board, Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Historic Preservation Board, etc.).
As you are probably aware, APA promotes public engagement, good planning, and high ethical standards and believes that we can build a constituency for good planning through education. Appointed advisory board members serve an important role in our planning processes so it is imperative that we provide them with a clear understanding of their responsibilities and basic training about the role that good planning and implementation play in helping to create and maintain communities of lasting value.
This seminar is designed to provide planning officials with an overview of what community planning boards do and where they fit in the overall governance of their cities and towns. Our experienced speakers will also present information about the basic tools of comprehensive planning, land development regulation, and zoning to help planning officials learn how they can effectively contribute to the quality of life in their communities. We think you will find that this training will help them become more effective board members and keep up with the ever-changing land use landscape.
Who should consider attending?
- New planning commissioners and members of zoning boards of appeals, historic preservation boards, site plan review boards, and other local government advisory boards seeking to better understand their roles and responsibilities;
- Existing planning commissioners and other board members needing a refresher and/or desiring to learn about emerging trends in planning, including innovative planning tools and techniques;
- Newly elected and appointed officials desiring to learn more about the pivotal role that planning makes in shaping our communities;
- Emerging planning professionals desiring to attend a local seminar and gain insight from planning experts.
Our planning officials serve as ambassadors for good planning and assist us as professional planners in our responsibilities to our communities. We hope you will encourage your advisory board members to attend!
Please see the attached flyer for additional details and registration/payment information. Space is limited so early registration is recommended to guarantee a seat. Register by July 1st and pay only $25.00 per person. The fee will be $35 if registered by July 8th and $45 thereafter (space available). Register here: http://bit.ly/29e4vFw
For questions, please call Kim Glas-Castro, Land Development Director, Village of Palm Springs, (561)434-5086.