Latest News and Events
- Great Invader Raider Rally- January 28th, 2017 January 24, 2017 The San Felasco Section is sponsoring this year’s Great Invader Raider Rally on Saturday, January 28th, 2017 at 9:00AM. Please join fellow San Felasco Section members and friends in making this a good showing!
9–11 am Great Invader Raider Rally Invasive Plant Removal!Under trained leadership, volunteers will work to remove invasive plants and trash inpre-selected natural areas. Our group has been assigned to the Loblolly Woods.
Join us and our site leader at 9:00AM 2305 NW 7th Road Gainesville, FL 32607 (address is approximate) Look for the Invader Raider signs! From 16th Avenue turn south onto NW 25th Terrace and park along the road.Remember
- Please come dressed appropriately for working outdoors—depending on the weather your site may be wet or muddy. Closed-toed shoes are a must.
- It may be helpful to bring a bucket, trowel, or shovel if you have one.
- You may also wish to bring drinking water, gloves, and/or bug spray.
- Restrooms may not be available at the site, so plan accordingly.
11 am–1 pm Volunteer Celebration at Morningside Nature CenterAfterwards volunteers may attend the celebration at Morningside Nature Center located at 3540 E. University Avenue Gainesville, FL. The event includes commemorative t-shirts, music, raffle prizes from local businesses, environmental booths and games! Local food trucks will provide food for purchase.
- Adopted 2017 Activity Plan and Budget December 7, 2016
Thank you to all the members that attended our annual meeting on December 2! At this meeting, the 2017 Section Budget and Activity Plan were adopted. The budget and activity plan can be found here: san-felasco-sectionadopted-2017-budget-and-activity-plan.
- “A Natural Solution for Springs Protection” A Lecture by Dr Robert Knight as part of the Ernest R. Bartley Memorial Lecture Series – October 27, 2016 October 13, 2016
- The Old Florida Heritage Highway Symposium hosted by the Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS) Florida Gator Student Chapter October 13, 2016
“The Old Florida Heritage Highway”
WHEN: Wednesday, October 19, 2016
TIME: 6 pm to 8 pm, a reception to follow (including heavy hors d’oeuvre)
WHERE: Room G-310, Reitz Union, UF Campus
The purpose of this free event is to make the community aware of the state designated scenic highway, it’s needs as related to resource protection and infrastructure improvements, it’s Master Plan and finally, what needs to be done to protect this corridor, it’s beauty, wildlife, and infrastructure. This is your chance to hear and interact with urban planners, engineers and community leaders as they share their experiences advocating for this part of Florida’s heritage.
- Kathleen Pagan, AICP, Sr. Planner, Growth Management, Alachua County
- Dr. James Perran Ross, President, Friends of Paynes Prairie
- Steve Scanlan, PE, Operations Program Engineer (Gainesville), FDOT
- James Sipes, Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Landscape Architecture, University of Florida
- Dr. Ruth Steiner, Professor, Urban & Regional Planning, University of Florida
As in past years, the event will include a raffle of official WTS products!
Please RSVP for this event by October 17, 2016 to Ines Aviles-Spadoni, UFTI/STRIDE Research Programs Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Adopted 2016 Section Activity Plan and Budget January 12, 2016
Please see the 2016 Section Activity Plan and Budget below.
The Activity Plan and Budget was adopted at the general membership meeting held December 11, 2015.