2017 Public Policy Workshop Agenda
7:30 am: Coffee and Registration
8 am: Welcome
• Laura Everitt, AICP, Esq., APA Florida President Elect and Legislative Policy Committee Chair
8:30 am: State of the Economy 2016
• Amy Baker, Coordinator, Office of Economic and Demographic Research
9:15 am: Happenings on the Federal Hill
• Jason Jordan, Policy Director, American Planning Association
10 am: Break
10:15 am: Constitutional Revision Commission – Has It been Twenty Years Already?
• Lester Abberger, APA Florida Legislative Representative (Moderator)
• Carol Weissert, Director, Leroy Collins Institute
• Billy Buzzett (Invited)
• Sandy D’Alemberte, Partner, D’Alemberte & Palmer
11 am: Florida 2070 – What Could We Look Like?
• Vivian Young, AICP, Communications Director, 1000 Friends of Florida (Moderator)
• Steve Dwinell, Director, Office of Agricultural Water Policy, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (Invited)
• Thomas Hawkins, Esq., Policy and Planning Director, 1000 Friends of Florida
• Dr. Tim Chapin, Associate Dean for Development, FSU College of Social Sciences and Public Policy
• Brian Teeple, CEO, Northeast Florida Regional Council
• Linda Shelley, Shareholder, Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, PC
12:45 pm: Water 2070 – Will We Have Any?
• Peggy Carr, Director, Program for Sustainability & the Built Environment, University of Florida (Invited)
• Stephen “Pepper” Uchino, Boardmember, Florida Water Advocates
• Rebecca O’Hara, Senior Legislative Advocate, Florida League of Cities
• John Miklos, Chairman, St. Johns River Water Management District
• Ryan Smart, President, 1000 Friends of Florida
1:30 pm: What is Happening in the Legislature
• Gary Hunter, Shareholder, Hopping Green & Sams P.A.
• David Childs, Shareholder, Hopping Green & Sams, P.A.
2 pm: Medical Marijuana: The Implementation of Amendment 2
• Laura Youmans, Legislative Advocate, Public Safety and Administration, Florida Association of Counties
• Jennifer Tschetter, Attorney, Hopping Green & Sams, P.A.
• Susan Harbin, Legislative Advocate, Health & Human Services, Florida Association of Counties
3 pm: Break
3:15 pm: DEO Update – Realigning Resources
• Taylor Teepell, Director, Division of Community Development, Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
4 pm: Policy Directions in 2017 and Beyond…
• Lester Abberger, APA Florida Legislative Representative, (Moderator)
• Janet Bowman, Director of Legislative Policy and Strategies, The Nature Conservancy
• Ryan Smart, President, 1000 Friends of Florida (Invited)
• David Cruz, Assistant General Counsel, Florida League of Cities
• Jaimie Ross, President, Florida Housing Coalition
• Nancy Linnan, Shareholder, Carlton Fields
4:30 pm: Adjourn
Note: This event is held during the 2017 Florida Legislative session. Last minute changes to the agenda and speakers due to the legislative calendar are beyond our control. We appreciate your understanding and patience.
This workshop is made possible by our wonderful sponsors:
APA Florida Annual Sponsors
Theriaque & Spain
Capital Level Sponsors
Florida Regional Councils Association
Workshop Level Sponsors
Marina Pennington Community Planning Consultant
Marlin Engineering, Inc.
MKPeck & Associates
Nancy E. Stroud
Weiss Serota Helfman Cole & Bierman
Wendy Grey Land Use Planning LLC